  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 16:50:17 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-02-01 11:38, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Anyway, it is not symmetric bandwidth. It is 300 Mbit download, and
I don't remember what upload, but much less, perhaps 30. Another
competitor offers 300 symmetric. I'll have to check again what I
really have now, then get dyndns or something (whatever my router
supports directly, I guess).

You can always run a dyndns update from a cronjob.

Yes, I know. But there will be an interval, after my ISP changes my IP
till the script runs, that they will not match.

Doesn't really matter much, but those are the terms when you don't have
a fixed IP.

Years ago, I managed to write a script that logged into my router and
interrogated it for the external IP. In my current router I don't see
I can do this.

You don't need to - the dyndns provider will always know where the
request is coming from.

The advantage is that it is fast, not requiring to query an external
web page.

Hmm, every dyndns provider I am aware of uses http(s) as the interface
protocol. You can't avoid the external query. The advantage of having
built-in router support is in the reduced latency, i.e. how much of a
pause between the IP change and the DNS change. (ignoring the DNS TTL).
Many routers allow you to specify arbitrary request strings, so you can
work with non-hardcoded dyndns providers.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.1°C)