  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 16:42:19 +0100
Dne Po 1. února 2016 10:34:58, Anton Aylward napsal(a):
On 02/01/2016 10:16 AM, jdd wrote:
Le 01/02/2016 16:07, Anton Aylward a écrit :
1. Shotwell is an inferior photoeditor

usually, the camera setup (what the camera do from raw to jpg) is
recorded in the raw file.

Oh?
Why do you say that?
It is completely at variance with my understanding of what RAW is.
Are you talking abut a JPG being embedded in a RAW file?

I ask this because on my camera if I select RAW ONLY (as opposed to
RAW+JPG)

a) all the 'scene' settings are now disabled.
That means the camera isn't converting raw to a JPG using a
particular algorithm. it can't, no algorithm is selected

b) there are/is no JPG embedded in the produced RAW files

This makes sense to me. !f you have said "NO! and I mean !NO!" to JPG
then its going to forget about JPG completely because it doesn't know (
sorry for the pun) what algorithm to use to convert RAW to JPG.

I use Canon, middle class. When I open RAW (*.cr2) in digiKam (no import, just
browsing the images), it says it's showing embedded JPG thumbnail. I don't
know in which phase this is created. When I use import with custom settings, I
of course get more or less different result. Otherwise just browsing hundreds
of pictures from a trip would be painfully slow. RAX+JPG settings is different
- in that case one can tell camera to create RAW as well as JPG with
default/camera settings.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu