On 01/31/2016 06:14 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Do You have specific reason for camera jpg? For me, it's wasting
of space - I need camera RAW and exported JPG.
For the moment, I'm not yet decided about it, but sometimes it seems
the camera generated jpg is better quality than the one generated by
shotwell (my camera, that is). Yes, it is some space waste. Or usage
:-)

If the camera JPG is better than the shotwell JPG I'd conclude one of
two things.

1. Shotwell is an inferior photoeditor

Not having used it and not being include to try, I don't know.
I do know that the Windows based Adobe Photoshop has produced some very
high quality results and that many people say that Darktable is as good
in some areas. Of course that may be to do with the material it has to
start with.

2. The skill of the user

I *DO* know that using Darktable I've produced images that are of
'artistic' quality that my camera's algorithms could never have
produced. My skill with Darktable is nothing to shout about, but it is
improving as I experiment. of course, like Edison pointed out, you have
to put up with a lot of failure learning this way, but so what?

Everybody has to start somewhere. As I've said, there are
'professionals' (in that they are very skilled) who can work wonders
with box cameras or cellphones.

As far as I can see its about who is making the decisions.