  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 15:22:26 +0100
* Carlos E. R. <> [02-01-16 08:45]:
On 2016-02-01 10:39, jdd wrote:
[...]

On piwigo, I can publish the url and say "reserved to subscribed family
members"

Yes, I'll have a look, but google is cheaper ;-)

Only if you refer to "renting" space from piwigo. Serving the photos from
your own computer employes costs you already incur, for the most part.

Ah, yes. True.

Does it create a fully static page, or does it rely on runtime
scripting? php or whatever, I'm not familiar with any of that. The
laptop that I use for "home server" is a pentium IV - LOL.

I'm not sure what You mean, but as PHP application, Apache with mod_php and
some DB must be running all the time, but the Piwigo itself has caching to
reduce performance impact. Also settings of Apache or special caching server
can help very much. But installation is simple - unpack it into some
directory, navigate there in web browser, fill DB credentials and few more
points and enjoy. :-)
Some time ago I was using jalbum. It is Java application syncing local folders
with images into static HTML gallery. Very simple, very fast, beautiful.
Although I was working with it ~5 years ago, so I don't know how it is now
with it. DigiKam also has (via KIPI plugins) possibility to export directory
into simple HTML gallery. But maybe too simple... Anyway, it depends what You
wish to get...
HTH,
V.

--