* Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-01-16 03:52]:
Dne Ne 31. ledna 2016 14:49:32, Patrick Shanahan napsal(a):
* Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-31-16 14:21]:
So set your meta-data in your camera to be added to the files the camera
outputs and maintain pristine originals and do as you please to
non-originals.

Not all cameras have the capability to add the exif tags that a user may
want.

Understood, and I used to write exif/itpc information directly to my raw
files and never corrupted one afaict, but have been advised by
knowledgable individuals that it is possible and better safe than not. :)

And was the reason of technical or philosophical (not to modify the only
intact original) nature? :-)

Maybe a little of both coming from camera makers systems are proprietary,
not open, and all outside access must be determined by good guessing and
hacker analysis. The problem with writing to raw files is it changes the
size, order and location of data withing the file. If any of those items
become critical, the file is trashed. And much of exif is not
standardized, a field in one vendors raw file may not be accepted in
anothers or even the same vendor but a different camera/format. You have
read hear of people seeing errors for incorrect unrecognized fields when
trying to import photos.

Adding information to non-raw files doesn't appear to be a problem and I
agree that maintaining side-car or db information for non-raw files is an
unwanted chore. But I believe in shooting raw and am not interested in

Exactly. There is standard well documented technology with all needed
features
(regarding adding some more information like tags, coordinates, description
etc), so I really do not understand why each separate SW should make its own
incompatible way...

Vendor lock-in. They want all the money they can get from you and use any
means at their disposal to affect that end. Look an M$.

maintaining additional files for non-raw images. A very rare occasional
phone image might have need but it would be *really* rare.

As each vendor produces it's own version of raw and varies between cameras
and mostly incompatible with other brands, and the cameras employing many
differing strategies for capturing images, it is a marvelous wonder that
the developers have produced a free software able to work with the myriad
versions of raw and produce excellent output. Kudos to the dt developers.

gud luk,