On 2016-02-01 09:44, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne Po 1. února 2016 00:14:32, Carlos E. R. napsal(a):

Do You have specific reason for camera jpg? For me, it's wasting of space
- I need camera RAW and exported JPG.
For the moment, I'm not yet decided about it, but sometimes it seems the
camera generated jpg is better quality than the one generated by
shotwell (my camera, that is). Yes, it is some space waste. Or usage :-)

If so, You do something very wrong/weird when exporting JPG from RAW in the
computer...

I do nothing. Shotwell generates automatically them the first time each
photo is displayed. I have not seen configs to adjust the settings of
this conversion, but it is obvious that shotwell uses different choices
that my camera firmware uses.

I don't think there is way for any other SW to get know the pictures
belong together. How could it know?
Shotwell does. It looks at the "root" of the name. And perhaps the jpg
contains an exif field designating the name of the original, I don't know.

Could be... I mean this is not universal - other SW won't understand what
some
other did...

That is indeed the problem :-(

They should all meet somewhere and agree on standards. At least on
Linux, with open sourced software, it should not be that huge of a problem.

But sometimes it gets confused, yes, with the jpg generated by the
camera, not with the ones generated by shotwell. In such cases I move
the one from the camera to another directory out of its sight.

I keep RAW in special subfolder within each album and I don't care about it
that much...

Shotwell has to see the .NEF file, it is the key file for each photo.
The others are derivatives.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)