but have been advised by
knowledgable individuals that it is possible and better safe than not.

I don't know. There is a lot of FUD running around loose in the world that
drapes itself in the
mantle of wisdom, which is, at best, based on one influential guy's unfortunate
experience
with ancient software. If you took the same advice about computers we'd all be
using
abacuses. ;-)