* Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-31-16 14:21]:
So set your meta-data in your camera to be added to the files the camera
outputs and maintain pristine originals and do as you please to
non-originals.

Not all cameras have the capability to add the exif tags that a user may
want.

Understood, and I used to write exif/itpc information directly to my raw
files and never corrupted one afaict, but have been advised by
knowledgable individuals that it is possible and better safe than not. :)

Adding information to non-raw files doesn't appear to be a problem and I
agree that maintaining side-car or db information for non-raw files is an
unwanted chore. But I believe in shooting raw and am not interested in
maintaining additional files for non-raw images. A very rare occasional
phone image might have need but it would be *really* rare.