On 2016-01-31 09:09, jdd wrote:
On 2016-01-30 18:24, jdd wrote:

One can use Digikam that can write exifs, IPTC...

But apparently it want's to "import" photographs, instead of just
working with a directory.

not really. It have to build it's own database (usually sqlite), but
uses kde folders. One can even change file names with Dolphin (or any
script) and the names are changed also in digikam

It does not copy photos to another place?

no, only picasa do that AFAIK

No, no, I do not mean to a web site. I mean that some copy the photos to
their own directory tree.

[...]

Ok, I used "add a collection" to tell digikam where my photos are. While
viewing some of them, the mouse and the keyboard froze. I had to ssh
from another computer to kill digikam.

I restarted it again, this time it does not get so bad, but it is taking
a large time to display each directory. It is creating these two files
in ~/Pictures/

-rw-r--r-- 1 cer users 3323904 Jan 31 13:54 digikam4.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 cer users 25828352 Jan 31 14:03 thumbnails-digikam.db

It does not read videos. Shotwell does.

It appears to read the tags and comments created with shotwell, but I do
not see how to create comments. But only if the photo is jpeg: not on
the .nef/.jpg pairs made by my Nikon reflex camera.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)