On 2016-01-30 18:24, jdd wrote:
Le 30/01/2016 17:13, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

That's the point, I want the comments in exif area, inside the jpegs.
Portable.

I very clearly rember a moment where the Kde explorer had an exif
editor, but I don't use it, so... this discussion happen often here and
elsewhere

Yes, I remember a few of them.

at a moment baloo was needed, I don't even kow how this is for Leap

One can use Digikam that can write exifs, IPTC...

But apparently it want's to "import" photographs, instead of just
working with a directory.

Ok, checking the tools I have in the context menu.

Gimp: not a viewver, and just for editing comments is way too heavy and
slow.

Shotwell: a possibility, as I already use it for other things. But it
has to import the photos first. As an advantage, it displays the
comments below the photos in the overall display.

XV: only displays a single photo.

gthumb: suitable, writes comments to exif, easily allows to save some
other data. Displays a single photo plus the rest of the directory in
another panel.

At this point, I notice a directory in the folder named ".comments",
with a file named as the photo plus an ".xml" file that contains the
test comment I just wrote in gthumb.

Now I also notice that the comment in the Exif data is incomplete,
trimmed short. The complete comment is in the xml file. I also notice in
preferences that it says "store metadata inside files if possible". I
guess it thinks my comment is too large.

Thus gthumb is not suitable.

ICC Examin: not suitable, it is not a viewer.

Hugin PTT generator: not suitable, it is not a viewer.

F-Spot: crashes.

Okular: No edit.

Showphoto: easy access to rotate, but saves one by one. No access to
EXIF coments, or I don't see it. Crashes on some actions.

Gwenview: best rotate functionality, but comments are not saved on exif.

On the photo tools main menu:

Panorama: crashes on start.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)