On 01/30/2016 10:01 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Sigh.

Indeed.

I'm scanning old photographic negatives with a compact scanner (a
reflecta X7), and writing comments on the photos with Gwenview. But
I have a problem: other programs do not see them.

by using gwenview I take it you are not writing the comments on the
image. That would require GIMP.

I don't see them with exif tools, for instance.

Of course not.
Gwenview, like Dolphin, whites to an outside file, its own database.
Similarly if you add a comment or otherwise manipulate the file using
Darktable, it writes it to a file-specific 'sidebar' file.
The later is clear since the file is not hidden.

I forget if the gwenview/dolphin comments and stars are in a database
somewhere or in a hidden file.

BUT gwenview/dolphin do not write to the meatadata INSIDE the image.

Conversely, if I write the comments with shotwell (which is
configured to write metadata to the photos, not to a database), I
don't see them in gwenview (but they do with "exif", tag "User
Comment")

That's correct. You can also update the metadata using exif or exiftool.

You might note that gwenview and dolphin are KDE tools.

I hesitate to continue writing comments till I verify that they are
in fact written to the photo files, and that other programs read
them.

Whether other programs can read them boils down to this

If you expect to move or copy the photo and expect the comment to go
with it, you need to put the comment inside the image using exif.

If you then expect to be able to read the comment you need to have the
application understand exif.

If you are only ever going to use KDE and programs such as gwenview and
dolphin that use the database, then exif doesn't come into it.

I don't see any configuration option in Gwenview regarding this.

There is an option, a plugin to display the exif/IPC metadata within
gwenview, and a popup that lets you choose what metadata you want
displayed in the sidebar. Press the "more" button in the sidebar.

There are probably hundreds of other programs that don't use the
gwenview database. If, for example, you move the photo to your tablet
or a 'electronic picture frame' then the gwenview or dolphin comment
won't go with it, whereas the exif will. That doesn't mean any specific
application on the tablet etc is capable of inspecting or displaying the
exif information.

The exif and the gwenview/dolphin database information are mutually
exclusive. I think you realise that.