Re: [opensuse] question on tunderbird/seamonkey mail imap offline mirroring
On 01/29/2016 12:10 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

My IMAP mailbox at my ISP is close to full. I would like to delete most of
its content form the IMAP server but keep messages locally.

I use seamonkey mail (almost equal to thunderbird if I know correctly) with
configured IMAP mailboxes.
There is an option for download/synchronize messages for offline use which
makes a local copy of the messages. My question is if I use this method, and
delete messages on the server afterwards not from seamonkey mail (eg in
webmail), will be the local messages deleted after a new connection started
from seamonkey mail? In other words is the synchronization bi-directional or
uni-directional?

If bi-directional, what would be the most effective way to clear the server
while keeping local messages with possibly maintaining the original directory
tree?

My understanding is that the off line download does not free up space on
the server. It just ensures a local copy is available when you're not
connected to the Internet. However, there is an archive function where
you can move messages from the server to local folders. You select the
messages you want to archive, then right click and select "Archive".
You can use the Advanced search to select messages prior to a given date
to archive. There are also archive settings in the account settings
under ""Copies & Folders".