Re: [opensuse] disabling wakeup when monitor sends hibernate message
On 01/27/2016 03:54 AM, SDM wrote:
On 01/26/2016 03:53 PM, don fisher wrote:

I looked at the manual and can see nothing except options on color. I
tried to call ASUS tech support, weaited over 10 minutes and never got
an answer. Just messages on how high tech ASUS was as a company!

Don
I asked the same question on the nouveau list (the driver for my
graphics card). I received some real help there. They told me how to
get a dump of the graphics messages. The conclusion reached is that
the monitor is returning a "hot plug" event, which should not be
happening. Sounds like I need a new monitor.:-(

Don

I think it's highly unlikely that this is down to a monitor issue or
cable problem, as now two people under the same distro are writing on
the ML about the same problem (I'm on TW for the record). ASUS tech
support is going to be of no help, and as soon as they hear you're using
Linux they are not going to support any of their products. I'm using
this video card: "VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices,
Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 6750]" with a fairly new HDMI
cable connecting the monitor with the video card, and running the open
source radeon driver. My video card has 2 outputs on it, 1 HDMI and 1
DVI. I have a second monitor plugged into the DVI port which stays off a
lot of the time, (with the power button) so that variable is also thrown
into the mix. My issue is the ASUS (primary monitor) display goes to
sleep according to the setting set in KDE's Energy Saving control panel,
then wakes up for no apparent reason minutes after having gone to sleep.
Then it will go to sleep again and then turn on, repeating the cycle
until the power button is pressed. It can go days without the problem
occurring, then all of a sudden one day it starts happening again.

This thread may be of help:

In that thread, there's a command you can try: "xrandr --output HDMI-0
--off". "HDMI-0" is the name of my device, yours may differ. The only
thing that I don't yet know how to do is turn the output back on as once
your monitor shuts off after issuing that command, TTY7 goes dark
(monitor goes to sleep) and the command will survive a reboot. You can
erase whatever file that command writes to in ~/.config, but there has
to be an easier way. Anybody know? I would file a bug but I don't know
if this is down to another driver causing it such as a webcam, an issue
with xorg, something with KDE, or something else. I have no clue where
to start. And the fact that the problem may not surface for 5 days makes
it difficult to debug.

sdm

I have ordered another monitor (only $200.00 for 27" on Amazon) and will let you know if it has the same problem. A person on the nouveau list said that the monitor was returning a "hot plug" event. I previously had no problem with an old Acer display, so ordered an 27" Acer replacement. I will let you know how things turn out.

Don