Re: [opensuse] Bootup of Luks partitions not waiting long for Password
On 2016-01-24 22:26, John Andersen wrote:
On 2016-01-24 08:05, John Andersen wrote:

You may have "stuck" hibernation; what

grub2-editenv - list <=============

says? (It is really lone `-' there).

This is not s hibernation issue. I shut down the machine normally.

Nevertheless, please try that command.

I've forgotten which command I am supposed to run.

You have it above in the email you sent. I'll mark it with an arrow like this:
"<============="

Then Shutdown to power off.
Then Reboot

The reboot Said Welcome to Grub, then popped up a default and advanced
options choice (in a
graphical display)
I sat there till the count down timer expired and the Default was taken
automatically.

Good! Before the timer expires you can reach the grub editor.

It flashed the screen to black a couple of times then proceeded to show the
old familiar scrolling
text display.

It stopped after a line reading
Please enter the passphrase for disc WDC-yadda-yadda-2 (cr-mysource) on
/mysource!

At this point, I sat there and counted seconds. At 5 seconds it auto resumed.

Ah. In my machines it waits for minutes.

It finished booting, but did not mount /mysource nor did it mount /home which
is also encrypted.
(Nor did it ask me for the password of /home)

I shutdown, and repeated the boot, this time typing at less than full speed
when it asked
for the password. In spite of the fact that I was only 4 characters into the
password, it
resumed booting, (and failing to mount) the encrypted partitions.

Strange.

I don't know where this timeout is defined. It is not in grub.

I repeated again, typed quickly, and it booted properly and mounted both
encrypted partitions
(but again only asking for one password, - they are both the same, and it
must try what
it was given the first time before asking the second time)

So you see this is not dependent on presence or absence of plymouth.

Well, no, not in this case. But at least you can see what is going on.

When Plymouth is there
it stops and waits the same 5 or 6 seconds before resuming (but it gives no
clue which disk
it is asking the password for.

One of the reasons I remove it :-)

But the problem is STILL that it will resume the boot process in 5 seconds or
so.

Yes.

Again this is a pretty much stock 13.2 without BTRFS, with two partitions
encrypted xfs partitions
as shown below:

poulsbo:~ # cat /etc/fstab
UUID=9c13c3bb-c0c6-4b95-be1f-e34e7c9498ab /
ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/mapper/cr_mysource /mysource
xfs nofail 0 2
UUID=86b250ea-1e75-433f-a045-73f2a117c1a6 swap
swap defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/cr_ata-WDC_WD5000BPKX-22HPJT0_WD-WX31A64R7974-part4 /home
xfs nofail 0 2

I would like to push that wait time at least to 10 seconds, because the
slightet distraction
while booting, and I miss the oppertunity entirely.

I know that it is not set up in fstab, nor in crypttab, AFAIK.
Well, I'm wrong. See "man crypttab".

timeout=
Specifies the timeout for querying for a password. If no unit is
specified, seconds is used.
Supported units are s, ms, us, min, h, d. A timeout of 0 waits
indefinitely (which is the
default).

You see, the default is wait for ever.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)