Re: [opensuse] on not using Plymouth
On 2016-01-23 13:27, Anton Aylward wrote:

But I really love to see those text messages: they tell what is actually
happening, we can see if things go abnormal just by noticing that they
are somewhat different than the previous time.

Indeed.
Are we paranoid or something?
If you think about it, this attitude means that we *EXPECT* something to
go wrong and are watching out for it.

LOL.

Not really.

I know that things do often go wrong with computers, but 90% of the
times is because I changed something, intentionally or unintentionally.

Recently, I updated my test Leap install in my laptop, which uses grub 2
and boots directly to level 5. Problem was, I had forgotten that the
installation media for 13.1 was still plugged in, and YaST happily used
it without thinking (yes, there is a bugzilla about this). So, the
result was Leap with some 13.1 packages.

Well, I would perhaps have seen some strange messages on boot had I been
watching, or had not the X splash screen hidden it from view. I thought
there was something strange, but did not pay attention.

It reminds me, somewhat, of Kipling's "Sons of Martha"

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts
work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they
damn-well choose.
As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and the desert they
stand,
Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's ways may be long in
the land.

:-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)