Re: [opensuse] on not using Plymouth
On 01/23/2016 07:04 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
It makes me wonder. Plymouth as a boat anchor.
There's a price you pay for the 'eye candy'.
Yes. I routinely remove it during initial install, and taboo it. I
understand that many users prefer to see a graphical boot display with a
progress bar and perhaps animations, and are terribly disgruntled at
seeing boot progress in text messages. So plymouth has a place for them.

But I really love to see those text messages: they tell what is actually
happening, we can see if things go abnormal just by noticing that they
are somewhat different than the previous time.

Indeed.
Are we paranoid or something?
If you think about it, this attitude means that we *EXPECT* something to
go wrong and are watching out for it.

It reminds me, somewhat, of Kipling's "Sons of Martha"

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
nuts work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they
damn-well choose.
As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and the desert
they stand,
Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's ways may be long
in the land.