Re: [opensuse] Installation DVD is horrible!
On 2016-01-13 19:04, don fisher wrote:
On 2016-01-13 00:26, don fisher wrote:
and then mounts a swap partition from another drive, so my fstab is
corrupted.

The installation system uses, during the installation, any swap space it
finds (and it is not written to fstab). The swap space you create during
install does not exist yet, as all formatting is delayed till the final
"go ahead with install".

Maybe somebody else could try this and see what they get. The Install
did place the "other" swap space in my fstab, as well as the new one.
During the install, I am not sure how to remove the selection to swap
partitions on other drives. Will that not cause the installer to delete
those partitions from those drives? I did select "Create Partition
Setup" and selected the USB drive. Set up then showed me the three
partitions on that drive which I selected. It then deleted the swap and
generated / in partition 1 and home in partition 2, deleting swap from
partition 1.

I will try again later.

Thanks for the inputs. I gather not many people build bootable USB drives.

(I used a ready made image on USB; I did not create my own).

I'm trying now on a virtual setup, which I had not ready when you asked.
I'm using a Vmware player virtual machine which currently contains a
Leap install, where I plug an USB stick, reboot, and run the install
media in an emulated DVD.

(maybe the stick is far too small, 8 GB)

Point: the install system posts a partition proposal, using only "sda"
(the virtual harddisk). It completely ignores the usb stick.

Possibility: edit proposal settings. Nothing usable there.

Possibility: Create partition setup. It asks what disk to use, IDE sda,
or SCSI sdb, or custom (for experts). I try the second option, and next.
Then I click "use the entire hard disk". I also click on the edit
proposal settings, to use ext4 instead.

The result wants to use sdb for the system, and reuses the existing sda1
as swap. Notice: use, does not format.

So I now go to "expert partitioner". I go to sda1, and hit "do not
mount" for sda1 and sda2 (edit button).

Then I delete the proposed sdb1, and create another smaller sdb1, plus
an sdb2 for swap. I select mount by label (don't use by id in this
case). Also option "no access time" (fstab options).

For system, I select minimal X.

Verify boot loader configuration.

I taboo plymouth.

Go ahead.

[...] running the install...

Install successful, it seems. I can't boot it in vmplayer, but that
could be a different issue which I'm not going to investigate, as I have
no use for this installation in a usb stick. I verify that it contains a
root partition and a swap partition, and the fstab refers to them. But
the labels I created are not used.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)