Re: [opensuse] What do you use for skype?
  • From: Francesco Teodori <francesco.teodori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:20:42 +0100
Hi Dave,
I built myself rpm skype packages optimized for openSuSE. I built them
for my and my students' needs. I made them available on my website.
Feel free to use them if you want to.
http://teodori.org/repository/utilities/opensuse42-1/current/x86-64.html
Regards,
Francesco

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Dave Plater <dplater.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, my daughter has an online job and her windows vista has died to the
point where it needs an install disk to fix, her boyfriend did something
wrong. So daddy's going to install Leap:42.1, which I've already run from
another disk on her computer in the past so I know it works. One thing that
she needs that is missing is skype. I need to get this setup this morning as
she's already missed a couple of days of work.
I've looked around, skype offers an openSUSE:12.1 i586 rpm - no good for
x86_64, Ubuntu / Debian have the latest x86_64/x86 versions. I found a
couple of packages in obs home repos and one home repo in PMBS (packman
obs). I copied and updated the PMBS package with the latest
skype-4.3.0.37.tar.bz2 in my PMBS home repo and there doesn't seem to be a
problem so I can't understand why nobody in openSUSE bothers with skype. Is
there a working, easy to setup with an existing skype account, alternative?
Thanks
Dave Plater

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.