Re: [opensuse] What do you use for skype?

On 21/01/2016 09:44, Damian Ivanov wrote:
Hi, just go onto the skype page and download openSUSE:12.1 i586 rpm
and install it.
Works on 64bit and 32 bit. That's all. Not in repos due to license.
Thanks, maybe I'll get skype to offer other rpms for openSUSE after I've finished my daughter' install.

Dave P

Hi, my daughter has an online job and her windows vista has died to the
point where it needs an install disk to fix, her boyfriend did something
wrong. So daddy's going to install Leap:42.1, which I've already run from
another disk on her computer in the past so I know it works. One thing that
she needs that is missing is skype. I need to get this setup this morning as
she's already missed a couple of days of work.
I've looked around, skype offers an openSUSE:12.1 i586 rpm - no good for
x86_64, Ubuntu / Debian have the latest x86_64/x86 versions. I found a
couple of packages in obs home repos and one home repo in PMBS (packman
obs). I copied and updated the PMBS package with the latest
skype-4.3.0.37.tar.bz2 in my PMBS home repo and there doesn't seem to be a
problem so I can't understand why nobody in openSUSE bothers with skype. Is
there a working, easy to setup with an existing skype account, alternative?
Thanks
Dave Plater