Re: [opensuse] plasmashell in Leap 42.1
  • From: "George Olson (SUSE list)" <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:45:47 +0800
On 01/20/2016 01:11 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Hi - I have just upgraded one of my systems to Leap 42.1 and am encountering a problem that is turning into a showstopper for us. Every few minutes, and in particular it seems after clicking on the launcher in the kicker bar at the bottom of the desktop, the system comes to a near halt for a few minutes and does not respond to a lot of mouse or keyboard input actions. Any shell window that is open will be responsive but much of the GUI stops responding. I have discovered that when this happens, top reports that the plasmashell process is using 100% of the cpu. Google has not provided me with a solution that I can understand, so in layman's terms can some kind guru tell me how to fix this issue? I will gladly provide any additional info needed, and thanks in advance for your help.

Marc....

I forgot to mention also I did 2 things...

The first was for the graphics:
On my laptop I went through the detailed procedure to install bumblebee from here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/505270-ultimate-tutorial-installing-Bumblebee-driver-for-SUSE
Following it in detail (I had to tweak one thing, I don't remember what now) was what made the difference on my laptop.

On my desktop I installed the nvidia repository (available in yast -> add repositories -> community repositories).

The second was with the QT repository:
On my desktop I also added the QT5 repository at this url: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/

I don't remember specifically looking to install anything from the QT5 repository, but zypper seems to have picked up a few packages from there and put them on my system.

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB