Re: [opensuse] plasmashell in Leap 42.1
  • From: "George Olson (SUSE list)" <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 07:59:54 +0800
On 01/20/2016 01:11 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Hi - I have just upgraded one of my systems to Leap 42.1 and am encountering a problem that is turning into a showstopper for us. Every few minutes, and in particular it seems after clicking on the launcher in the kicker bar at the bottom of the desktop, the system comes to a near halt for a few minutes and does not respond to a lot of mouse or keyboard input actions. Any shell window that is open will be responsive but much of the GUI stops responding. I have discovered that when this happens, top reports that the plasmashell process is using 100% of the cpu. Google has not provided me with a solution that I can understand, so in layman's terms can some kind guru tell me how to fix this issue? I will gladly provide any additional info needed, and thanks in advance for your help.

Marc....

When I first installed Leap on my laptop, I was having the same thing happen, and it turned out it was the baloo file indexer. After about 10 hours when it finished indexing everything, it went back to normal. Still, though, there is something buggy about it, because it shouldn't bog up the system like that.

I have also had some stability problems in KDE on my desktop pc, and I added the KDE frameworks 5 repository and upgraded to it, and it seems to have helped my desktop pc. So I am going to do the same thing for my laptop.

This is the repository: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
I just did a

"zypper dup --from <repository number for KDE framework 5>"

and that seemed to help. I think you can also do a "switch system packages" in yast and it almost is the same thing.

I also have Wolfi's framework 5 branches repository, because I was going to install KDE4 and try and use both KDE4 and plasma 5, but since plasma5 seems stable now, I am sticking with plasma5.

I also need to try it out on my laptop now and see how that works. In the meantime I also installed gnome so that I would have a decent working desktop while making all the changes.

I appreciate what the devs have done with LEAP but IMHO it seems that plasma5 was really not yet ready for what is supposed to be a more stable release. It is a nice desktop now that I have it working, nicer and smoother than KDE4, but I would rather not have had to go through more than 2 weeks of doing nothing but messing with it to get it to run smoothly.

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB