Re: [opensuse] Format disk with 13.2 btrfs file system
Le 17/01/2016 19:06, don fisher a écrit :

What happens when you are left with an unbootable drive? With all other
systems I have used rsync to maintain a mirror of my primary host that I
can restore from a bootable media, such as a USB drive.

bootable have nothing to do with btrfs, on the contrary, for example debian grub do not boot btrfs (by default).

one must have a bootable device, then mount the backup device and the simpler the file system the better. ext3 is perfect for this (no need of journaling, a backup is seldom written)

In fact you have to think at what you want in term of backup. There are on this list archive several very long threads about the sunject (and full books).

In summary to backup system (as opposed to data):

* if you want instant recovery, use raid
* if you have some delay, reinstall the distro (or a new one) before restoring. Crashing bad a system is not that often.
* if restoring the very same system is important, look at
https://www.howtoforge.com/back_up_restore_harddrives_partitions_with_ghost4linux

or

http://clonezilla.org/

jdd