Re: [opensuse] xset s 600 s blank does not appear to work
* don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> [01-16-16 19:19]:
[...]
xset --help
man xset

will both provide you the necessary information.

and xset works fine, I have been using it for several years rather than a
pretty picture screen blanker, but it does not "lock" the screen/keyboard.

The command I use (xset s 600 s blank) is given in the title. The relevant
(It think) output of xset q is:
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 600 Suspend: 600 Off: 600
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
It appears to understand my command, but the screen never blanks! Is
something in openSuse keeping it alive?

I have:
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600

DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 300 Suspend: 400 Off: 500
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

And the screen blanks automagically after about 5 minutes or immediately
if I tell it to from command-line (1 second delay).

What command do you use to blank from the command line? Forgot that one:-) 600 should give you 10 minute (60 * 10) time out, so with 5 minute delay it sounds like you have something else going on here.

Don