Re: [opensuse] Why does openSuse prohibit ftp transfers from download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/suse/src/
On 01/17/2016 04:31 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
don fisher wrote:

Title says it all. Why are these transfers not allowed?

Apparently we no longer run an ftp server on download.opensuse.org (aka
ftp.opensuse.org). Maybe it is an omission, many of the mirrors are
accessible via ftp. It might be worth notifying admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

I really really really really really .... really don't see why this is
an issue.

If you're accessing via the web page and doing click-though they by
definition you are using http. you're in a browser, for ${DEITY}'s sake!

On the other hand if you're sophisticated enough to go under the hood to
get an actual address to use for a CLI download then

a) you're capable of looking for the mirror sites and determining which
are http and which are ftp

b) you're capable of using wget, which really doesn't care which of http
or ftp it is and you can push into the background and do something else
while it downloads.

There's a trend here that I'm not sure I like.
A long time ago Norbert Wiener used the phrase "Render unto the computer
that which is the computer and unto man that which is man's".
Yea, he was riffing on the Bible but so what? he has a point.

The issue here is
MAKE THE COMPUTER DO THE WORK - MAKE THE COMPUTER SORT IT OUT.
You don't have to hand hold it; you don't have to sit there doing the
work that the computer should be doing.

This is why I hate some GUI interfaces and the legacy mindset that
Microsoft Windows has downloaded on us.

If I want to delete a bunch of files I'll use the command line and wild
card rather than the individual step and repeat with a GUI.
Perhaps that's not a brilliant example, a good GUI file manager will let
you select many filed before committing the delete. But there are so
many things that are easy with a CLI that get awkward with a GUI or are
just a GUI layered on the CLI and done badly at that.

This is why YAST is so great, it embeds intelligence, deals with
consistency and really does relieve the human of things that should be
left to the computer.

its not alone. we've been doing this for years. A compiler is an
'expert system' in code generation, embedding the expertise of many
people and many algorithms and can do the work day in, day out for large
volumes. You man be able to make the case that a human could, perhaps,
for some of the simpler machines, produce better code, but not for the
scale and consistency and speed of a compiler.

Make the computer do the work!

And while its doing the work go of and do something human: stroke teh
cat, cook a meal ...

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"