Re: [opensuse] Re: memtest only seeing 48GB out of 64GB?
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Brandon Vincent
<Brandon.Vincent@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Time to take Corsair up on their offer to swap out the DIMMs.

Hopefully that should take care of your issue. The recommended memory
compatibility chart from ASUS only shows that they've tested 16 GB
registered DIMMs. Next time you start a build I highly recommend you
pick memory modules off the list. I'm still wagering that this
motherboard is very picky. You have to realize that unbuffered 16 GB
DDR4 modules are only a few months old.

Good luck with this system. It seems like it will be quite impressive
when finished.

Brandon Vincent

Brandon,

You may be right that the "unbuffered" DDR4 dims I have are simply not
compatible with the ASUS x99-Deluxe Motherboard.

I downed my machine for the last week and sent the DIMS in for RMA.
I'm not sure why, but Corsair sent me 2 separate 4x16G kits. (for 128GB total).

I tried the first kit in A1 / B1 / C1 / D1, and only 3 of the DIMs was seen.

Instead of trying to debug I just put in the other set to have a total
of 8 DIMs physically installed.

The MB now sees 6 of them for 96GB total.

The missing DIMs are in A1 and A2.

I'm not sure how much speed I'm losing by that config, but I'm more
than happy with 96GB.

fyi: I have the latest version of memtest running now. It knows all 8
DIMs are physically installed, but it is only testing 96GB, so I
assume it is testing the DIMs with the MB is seeing.

To be honest, I would not object to having a second similar spec
machine, Maybe I should buy new DIMs which have been tested with the
ASUS X99-Deluxe, then buy a new MB / CPU pair that have been tested
with the unbuffered DIMs I have?

Thanks
Greg