Re: [opensuse] Why does openSuse prohibit ftp transfers from download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/suse/src/
On 01/16/2016 04:59 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 01/16/2016 04:37 PM, don fisher wrote:
What does "could also be allowed" mean? Is it there or hidden in some
way, or is it just a capability that they could enable at there
discretion?

A server has to support the protocol. You can set up a server to
support ftp, http or both. It all depends on what's enabled.

I think the problem is a bit more fundamental.

Doing

ftp ... ftp://opensuse.org/....

should work, but I wouldn't expect

ftp ... http://opensuse.org/....

to work. As John says "... because its is a http server"

This is why, if I'm doing this directly to a mirror site, I use 'wget'.
It saves the overhead of the browser and works with both http and ftp.