Re: [opensuse] Network set up after crash
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:45:18 -0500
On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM, don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/15/2016 12:17 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

don fisher wrote:

On 01/14/2016 03:31 PM, don fisher wrote:

On 01/14/2016 03:04 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:

ifconfig -a

I did the ifconfig as you suggested and it just listed the three
devices as expected. I think something is broken in my routing maybe?
When I click on an old link in thunderbird it claims it cannot reach
www.suse.com. But if I enter just www.suse.com into Google it opens,
so the rest of the link cannot be resolved. I will not open my online
banking window or other links I used to open all of the time. When I
try to connect to the name server listed in my resolve.conf I receive
a "Network is unreachable" message. But again, Google finds it.

Don

I tried the ifroute man page, and none of the files suggested

/etc/sysconfig/network/ifroute--interfavce
/etc/sysconfig/network/routes

exist on my system.

They only exist if they are configured - i"froute-interfavce" only if
you have interface specific static routes, and "routes" if you have
static routes. On a single user machine most probably using DHCP, you
don't need any of those.

Don, we don't really know your level of expertise here, but YaST will
sort all of this out for you. YaST->Network Settings->select network
card->set for dhcp->done.

Thanks for the suggestion:-) DHCP works. I was using statically assigned IP
addresses to make my inter machine communication easier. I guess now all I
have to do is determine what I am missing in setting up static IPs. Static
IPs worked previously. As an experiment I tried going back from DHCP to my
static address and things were broken again. Any ideas on what is required
under Yast (or elsewhere) to allow the static address to find routes to the
net, if that is what is broken.

Don

Don't forget you can leave the computers as DHCP, but force them to a
fixed IP by configuring your DHCP server to always give their MACs the
same IP.

I do that with my wireless router. All devices I know about get a
fixed IP. When a guest (or new device) shows up it gets a random IP
out of the DHCP range, but as soon as I notice anything using one of
those IPs I track it down and assign it a fixed IP.

That also improves security because it means I'm aware of all the DHCP
clients that use my wireless router.

Greg