Re: [opensuse] Network set up after crash
On 01/14/2016 05:31 PM, don fisher wrote:
On 01/14/2016 03:04 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
ifconfig -a

I did the ifconfig as you suggested and it just listed the three devices
as expected.

Good.

I think something is broken in my routing maybe?

I see in your later email you say

===============
The route command shows:
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.7.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlp11s0
===============

That's perfectly reasonable. You just have a single hosted machine, so
much of the stuff is absorbed by your router.

When I
click on an old link in thunderbird it claims it cannot reach
www.suse.com. But if I enter just www.suse.com into Google it opens, so
the rest of the link cannot be resolved.

I'm not sure what you mean.
Are you saying there is a HTML message in T'bird you are making use of?
I don't trust what's under a HTML email. Anyway, of you want that to
open a browser window you ned to set up the "about:config" for T'bird
properly first.

Preferences -> advanced -> config editor
network.protocol-handler.app.http
network.protocol-handler.app.https

They should both point to your browser.
If that's not set then Thunderbird will do nothing.

I presume why you say "Google" you mean you are entering it directly in
the web browser. If you mean something different, please explain.

I will not open my online
banking window or other links I used to open all of the time.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean wou won't 'cos you are
distrustful or that something is preventing it? If the latter, please
give more details on the mechanism by which you are trying.

When I try
to connect to the name server listed in my resolve.conf I receive a
"Network is unreachable" message. But again, Google finds it.

Once again, this is confusing.
*HOW* are you trying to connect that fails?
*WHAT* are the values there?

This gets back to the use of DHCP for the outside connection.
I connect to my ISP (well cable interface/router) using DHCP. my ISP
hands back the assigned IP address *AND* a list of DNS addresses to use
(along with a few other details that are not relevant here).

These are not browsable addresses, they only respond to DNS queries.
Which gets back to the "*HOW* question. If I query them as the servers
in 'dig' or 'host' or 'nslookup' then I get a result.

<Sidebar that is not relevant to your situation:>
As it happens, my desktop suse machine does not connect directly to the
cable router, it connects to the firewall machine that connects to the
cable router, so the firewall machine has the DNS values supplied by the
ISP and my desktop has a static IP address pointing to the firewall and
its DNS value in /etc/resol.conf also point to the firewall. The
firewall acts as a DNS proxy/forwarder (and cache).
</sidebar>