Re: [opensuse] KDE3 kicker hangs with 100% CPU use
Istvan Gabor composed on 2016-01-14 18:52 (UTC+0100):

You likely would have been better off asking in opensuse-kde3.

This occurs on openSUSE 13.1 with KDE3 (from KDE repo). I have installed many
packages through yast2 package manager.

After this when go to KDE3 start menu -> graphics, the desktop hangs, top
shows that kicker uses 100% CPU. I removed ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc but
it did not make a change (after restarting the system). It also occurs to a
new test user with a newly created KDE3 desktop, so this is not a user
specific symptom.

How could I trace and possibly fix this?

13.1/KDE3 was my primary for about 11 months after switching from years of
11.4/KDE3. I left 13.1 for 42.1/KDE3 about a month ago. For me Kicker only on
occasion has been a 100% CPU problem, maybe 4-5 times while using 13.1, and
always corrected by a session restart.

I don't know if any of KDE3 ever uses compositing, but if it does, maybe
disabling it will help. I do it automatically on every installation with a DE
that doesn't require compositing via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-extensions.conf
containing the following:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection