Re: [opensuse] Installation DVD is horrible!
On 01/13/2016 03:34 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:

don fisher composed on 2016-01-13 13:24 (UTC-0700):

Per Jessen wrote:

don fisher wrote:

I will try again. I really do not like this type of code. Why can't
you specify a configuration file, or something nor in a damn GUI!

You can - swap out to a virtual console, then use fdisk/sdisk to
partition, your favourite mkfs to create filesystems. Swap back in
to YaST, and do a rescan.

Sorry, but I am a bit dumber than this. How do I swap out to a
virtual console? And then how to swap back and do rescan?

Swap is a poor word choice. Switch is a word Per should have used
instead of swap.

Well, personally I swap between consoles, but I appreciate that "switch"
might be more appropriate. Not sure I care much.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/22954/is-there-any-difference-between-switch-and-swap

It works the same way as when booting normally instead of during
installation. To switch away from the GUI, do Ctrl-Alt-Fn. When you're
not in the GUI, then Alt-Fn will switch to any virtual screen, as will
Ctrl-Alt-Fn, including back into the GUI, which always used to be on
7, but sometimes is elsewhere, maybe 6 or 1 during installation.
Rescanning you would trigger from the cmdline with partprobe.

There is also an option in the expert partitioner. "Rescan disks".

@Don, you asked for the non-GUI way, I did sort of assume that meant you
were fairly familiar with the cmdline way of things.

Sorry. I know how to enter general command lines, but if you do not know the format of the commands it can be a bit scary. I have been trying this build for about 5 hours, so I am not very adventurous. I have found that there are 183979 files on my system. I do not know where the UUIDs end up, where the network parameters (like channel number) live etc. I am making little steps, so please forgive.

Don