Re: [opensuse] Installation DVD is horrible!
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:55:34 +0100
don fisher wrote:

I have been trying to build a bootable USB drive on my 13.2 system. I
plug in the USB drive, BOOT the installation DVD and select
installation. I get to where it shows the devices, and select the
Create Partition .. and choose the USB drive. I then have to go to
Expert Partitioner to set up swap, /, and home partitions. But even
after doing all that, when I start the build the damn thing first
formats the USB swap partition, and then mounts a swap partition from
another drive, so my fstab is corrupted. Why does it refuse to honour
my request to use the USB drive? Is there a trick I am missing?

Your request to use the USB drive is for the system-to-be-installed.
When you're installing, any available swap drive is used. I don't see
how that should corrupt any fstab?

The USB drive already had valid partitions on it when I started. I
told the system I wanted to use all three, by checking them in the
usage menu. But it then reformatted the disk, removing the existing
swap and making the first partition /. It was intending to use the
same swap it attached above.

Sounds like you didn't make your instructions clear enough :-) Let us
see the setup screen in YaST.

I do not think this should not be this hard. Why is swap so hard to
deal with?

It isn't - but perhaps you might want to consider if you really need
swap when booting from a USB stick?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.1°C)