Re: [opensuse] software updates in LEAP system tray
On 2016-01-13 01:35, gumb wrote:

2) Musing over whether I really wanted to trust my parents to apply
updates, I gave it a test under their user account. When it popped up, I
clicked the button to install the updates, expecting it to prompt me at
some point for the root password. It began downloading, then kept
progressing, and entirely finished the job, without ever prompting me. WTF?

Normal, intentional, and not new. The user is allowed to install updates
(not new packages) without special permissions, since some years ago.
The justification is that those packages are already installed, so there
is little risk in allowing users to do it.

I think it can be restricted somewhat, but I don't remember how, sorry.

It is one of the the reasons I remove packagekit in my production systems.

3) Going back to point 1), there is no 'off' setting, or obvious way to
disable the update utility. In the end the only way I could find to stop
it without delving into config files was to edit the system tray
settings and deselect it as one of the entries.

Well, yes, that's one way :-)
But you have to repeat for all users.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >