Re: [opensuse] I am confused: "high end" graphics Laptop for Suse (in Spain)?

Am 12.01.2016 um 21:10 schrieb John Andersen:
On 01/12/2016 06:00 AM, Daniel Bauer wrote:
(Must-haves: 15,6", very (very!) powerful and fast in graphics for large
image/video editing, good
screen, 1TB HD, maybe even + SSD for system, good battery life, I guess with
Intel i7 65xx, Nvidia,
16GB mem...)

Check for those you can turn off UEFI in the bios.

Is this the "secure boot"-thing?

Buy the smallest hard disk you can find, then order the fastest and largest you
will need, and
perhaps a second mounting tray from the computer manufacturer.

This is indeed a very good idea. You're a sly fox :-) (Uh, hope this word is as nice in english as in german, it is ment nice...)

Keep the original disk. (Whether you ever boot from it or not is your
decision). If the machine
fails in warranty, you can return the original disk to the computer and avoid a
lot of warranty
arguments. Then at end of warranty buy a cheap external enclosure for that
disk and nuke it to
use as a backup or what ever.

Install your linux on the bigger disk, and enjoy.

Clearly an externally accessible disk drive bay is a plus with this scheme.

If you don't HAVE to have this year's chipset/processor, your chances for
incompatibility are reduced.

Good point.
thanks!

Daniel