Re: [opensuse] network setup in leap 42.1
On 01/12/2016 09:22 AM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

In openSUSE 13.2 the traditional network setup (ifup in yast) was removed and
wicd (??) was introduced which I didn't like when I tried. Along with ifup
kinternet/qinternet and related packages, eg smpppd (SuSE Meta PPP Daemon,
the back-end for kinternet) have been removed too. I am curious how network
manager independent network setup occurs in leap 42.1? Does it have kinternet
on something similar?

Thanks,

Istvan

I've been wondering that myself. So far I only have leap in a VM with a fixed
interface,
and no wifi, but sooner or later I will upgrade from 13.2 and would want to
know if
there is a replacement for Network Manager.

I've never had a problem with Network Manager except in the early days.

This laptop travels a lot and I expect to be able to hook onto any available
WIFI
as joe user, without needing root, and without digging in scripts.

Because I've never had an issue with Network Manager, I've never had reason
to use wicked, it.

I did find this page about moving from one to the other:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/170842/opensuse-switch-from-wicked-to-networkmanager-using-command-line