Re: [opensuse] usb mouse scroll doesn't work
Istvan Gabor composed on 2016-01-12 18:00 (UTC+0100):

I have changed my computer. The new machine has only USB input for mouse.
Previously I used PS/2 mouse and it worked well. In the new machine the
scroll function of the mouse's third button doesn't work (though it works
as a clickable third button). The OS is openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 3. How can
I configure the mouse in it?

If it is a machine with an empty PCI slot you could install a PS/2 port card.

Another problem is the mouse pointer: it disappears at some areas of the
screen, eg on xsane's preview window or on window title bars between the
maximize and minimize labels. I guess this is graphic driver problem,
Xorg.0.log has:

[ 81144.131] (II) VESA(1): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 0.0
[ 81144.172] (II) VESA(1): Creating default Display subsection in Screen
section "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[ 81144.172] (==) VESA(1): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32

lspci 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 06)

Maybe this graphics chip is not supported?

Haswell video didn't exist when 12.2 was released, so 12.2's Intel driver is
not supporting your gfxchip. Haswell is missing from the list of supported
Intel chips you included. That's why you're seeing all the VESA lines. You
stripped the kernel cmdline from your Xorg.0.log paste, so another possible
reason might have been inclusion of nomodeset in your grub stanza, but only
if Haswell was supported.

VESA is a crude and slow fallback driver, missing lots of functionality.
Upgrading to a release containing an Intel driver that supports Haswell would
likely solve both your problems.

I'm using Haswell and KDE3 on 42.1 on this machine. It works well enough, and
is secure enough, for me. What's your reason for sticking with long out of
support 12.2?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/