Re: [opensuse] Is there a way to create a portable openSUSE setup?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:28:12 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2016-01-06 at 10:06 +0100, Gustav Degreef wrote:
On 01/05/2016 10:43 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

I think most if not all live openSUSE do that

Yes, since some release number, I forget which one. All current lives (11.4, 13.1, 13.2) do it. But the KDE/Gnome lives are designed for installation. I find the XFCE aka Rescue image more suitable for the OP scenario.

However, there are no lives for Leap (unless things have changed without me noticing), so you have to create your own with SUSEstudio.

I've installed a persistent OS 13.1 onto a 16 GB flash drive to test
hardware. I don't recall the page, but instructions are in the opensuse
SDB. I've also installed OS 13.2 onto a 256 GB Samsung T1 external SSD
(very compact and portable). The SSD install was a regular install from
a DVD. Both systems can be updated with the regular OS updates. Both
systems will boot on a compute that allows booting via the USB
interface. However, I found that the USB flash system is much, much
slowwer than the SSD install to the point where I have given up using it
even on systems with 8 gb or more of ram. The SSD cost me a bit over
100 dollars and it's only real drawback (for me) is that the KDE desktop
seems to display with different resolutions on each system and I have
not been able to get it to display quite the way I like. HTH, Gustav.

Notice that a "real" install on a stick will be slower, because it has not been adjusted for running on a stick. I would expect a live system to have the syslog output reduced, so as to write less or not at all. A USB stick is a slow write device.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)