Re: [opensuse] .mod files
On 01/06/2016 11:37 AM, don fisher wrote:
On 01/06/2016 11:24 AM, don fisher wrote:
06.01.2016 21:02, don fisher пишет:
In a related thread, I stated that I used the distribution media with
the upgrade option to update my system. As part of that process it did
run grub2 and update the boot configuration. I now find that I have 256
.mod files in my root directory. What are they and what should I do
with
them? A Google link says they are usually generated by grub2, but I do
not understand why they were generated or what to do with them.

Ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
What exactly is root directory? "/"? "/root"? Something else?

In any case this is not supposed to happen and those files are likely
useless in either of mentioned directories, but as you did not say from
which to which version you updated, hard to say anything.

The root directory is /. They were all loaded with in two minutes of
each other. I can attach a list if desired. All of the update to /boot
were made at Jan 5 11:07. All of the 256 .mod files have time stamps
between Jan 5 11:06 and Jan 5 11:07.

Thanks
don
Sorry for the incomplete response. I used a 13.2 DVD to update a 13.2
system. My hope was to get around the problems I was having using zypper
up and the VLC files on packman that could not be accessed. I was also
hoping that this might be a way to fix broken grub2 boot configurations.

Thanks
Don
An update. This system is on a USB drive, so I have freedom to play with it. I did a mv /*.mod to a directory in my home. The system still boots. But I do not know how to determine if I have complete functionality.

Don