Re: [opensuse] Is there a way to create a portable openSUSE setup?
On 01/05/2016 10:43 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:22 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 05/01/2016 22:16, Pablo Dotro a écrit :
Greetings!

I know most of the Ubuntu derivatives can be made into portable,
persistent installs in USB drives. Is it possible to do the same with
openSUSE?
I need to be able to run some hardware compatibility tests and
performance measurements in a new set of workstations, and doing them
under oS, without disturbing the already installed Windows version is a
requirement (hardware compatibility with oS is one of the things I need
to test). I need to be able to customize, install, remove and save data
to the oS install, so it needs to be persistent between sessions. Does
anyone know if this is possible, and how to go about it?
Thanks in advance!

Pablo Dotro
DF-FCEyN-UBA

I think most if not all live openSUSE do that

jdd

Even more so, I think anything produced in SuseStudio and then
installed on a flash drive will do that.

https://susestudio.com/

The first time you boot, the boot image will see the extra space on
the flash drive and use it for permanent space as I recall.

It is not something I have ever needed, so I have done this.

If you don't feel like building your own appliance, check out the gallery:

https://susestudio.com/search?order=popularity

I find it hard to find stuff in the gallery so you may find it easier
to just build your own.

Greg
I've installed a persistent OS 13.1 onto a 16 GB flash drive to test
hardware. I don't recall the page, but instructions are in the opensuse
SDB. I've also installed OS 13.2 onto a 256 GB Samsung T1 external SSD
(very compact and portable). The SSD install was a regular install from
a DVD. Both systems can be updated with the regular OS updates. Both
systems will boot on a compute that allows booting via the USB
interface. However, I found that the USB flash system is much, much
slowwer than the SSD install to the point where I have given up using it
even on systems with 8 gb or more of ram. The SSD cost me a bit over
100 dollars and it's only real drawback (for me) is that the KDE desktop
seems to display with different resolutions on each system and I have
not been able to get it to display quite the way I like. HTH, Gustav.