Re: [opensuse] disabling KMS (nomodset)
On 5 January 2016 at 13:08, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 05/01/2016 12:59, Per Jessen a écrit :

jdd wrote:

Le 05/01/2016 01:05, Felix Miata a écrit :

needs to for me. I've never installed any proprietary driver on any
of my own Linux systems. FOSS and the hardware it supports rulez! :-)

"proprietary" nvidia driver seems to be opensource now.

Really? How did you determine that? That would be quite big news.

the nvidia repo is:

http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.1

and in YaST, thechnical datas:

nvidia-computeG03 - NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU

Version alternative
Version installée
Version :
340.93-36.1
340.93-36.1
Heure de la version :
lun. 19 oct. 2015 13:53:11 CEST
lun. 19 oct. 2015 13:53:11 CEST
Heure de l'installation :

mer. 23 déc. 2015 12:09:16 CET
Groupe de paquetages :
System/Libraries
System/Libraries
Licence :
PERMISSIVE-OSI-COMPLIANT < < < < the important part here
PERMISSIVE-OSI-COMPLIANT
Taille de l'installation :
41,4 MiB
41,4 MiB
Taille du téléchargement :
12,9 MiB
0 B
home:sndirsch:drivers / openSUSE_42.1
Fournisseur :
obs://build.suse.de/home:sndirsch:drivers
obs://build.suse.de/home:sndirsch:drivers
Créateur du paquetage :

Architecture :
x86_64
x86_64
Hôte de la version :

Paquetage source :
x11-video-nvidiaG03-340.93-36.1
x11-video-nvidiaG03-340.93-36.1
N° support :
0
0
Auteurs :

http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.1/NVIDIA-LICENSE has
the following clauses

"2.1.1 Rights. Customer may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE
on a single computer, and except for making one back-up copy of
the Software, may not otherwise copy the SOFTWARE. This LICENSE
of SOFTWARE may not be shared or used concurrently on different
computers."

"2.1.2 Linux/FreeBSD Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms
of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
(except for unzipping of compressed files)."

"2.1.3 Limitations.

No Reverse Engineering. Customer may not reverse engineer,
decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE, nor attempt in any other
manner to obtain the source code."

This makes it very clear that the NVIDIA Proprietary driver is still
very much proprietary and not open source.