Re: [opensuse] disabling KMS (nomodset)
jdd composed on 2016-01-04 20:47 (UTC+0100):

Felix Miata composed:

What part of what I previously wrote didn't you understand?

I missed

"The only UMS driver I'm familiar with that requires KMS be disabled
is NVidia, and by now disabling KMS for it may be automatic and unneeded
on the cmdline."

that represent 1/3 of the video cards of the market

1/3 of the card brands, which isn't indicative of cards in use. Relatively
few machines are built with onboard nvidia gfxchips, while huge numbers are
with intel, likely more than half of desktops and laptops. OTOH, no one is
using intel video cards, as intel hasn't made any since last century.

A secondary point I was trying to make was that those using NVidia UMS driver
are a small segment of Linux users, many of whom stick to FOSS and thus use
nouveau driver, and also a large majority of whom aren't using NVidia
gfxchips at all.

and without nomodeset (right now), the nvidia driver crashes.

I'm surprised it loads. Or, maybe it doesn't, and that's the "crash" you
experience. What does Xorg.0.log look like when nomodeset is omitted from
cmdline.

It's only since some update, with the default install nomodeset was not
necessary.

Or maybe it was but got missed.

may be this is a clue to the solution

Could be. Could be another visit to NVidia's installation doc is in order.
Maybe it has become dependent on exactly which UMS version is being used.
Maybe the kernel is being trained to disable KMS when an nvidia driver tries
to load, but isn't absent bugginess yet. Maybe the place to ask is in an
NVidia support forum.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/