Re: [opensuse] NetworkManager in multi-user target
* Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-02-16 23:25]:

But now NM requests root pw before allowing network connection. Is there
a work-a-round for that also. tks

Ooh! That's quite some change since I last tried this.

So I did some experimenting. Here's what I did:

I installed "NetworkManager-gnome" and "polkit-gnome".

I logged into icewm. There, I ran two commands:
--- clip here ---
/usr/lib/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
nm-applet &
--- clip here ---

That gave me a NetworkManager icon on the icewm panel.

Using that applet, I edited the connection. This did ask for the root
password.

While editing the connection, I went to the security settings, where there
was a place that I could enter the WiFi key.

I entered it. At the end of that line there is a small graphic. Clicking
that graphic, there was a choice between:

save password for this user only (the default)
save password for all users
prompt for password every time

That's not the exact wording, and maybe not the exact order. It was about
the network wifi key. So I switched to save the password for all users.

After that, everything is fine with no root prompts for connection, and it
works also in multi-user mode.

That option on where to save the password does not seem to exist in the KDE
plasmoid. That's why I tried the gnome applet. In my previous experience,
the password (key) for a shared connection was always stored for all users
(in "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections").

Tks, since it appears to be functionally broken on openSUSE kde, I will
file a bug report.

I seem to recall a similar discussion about pw requirements lately but do
not recall the circumstances.

tks for your efforts.

Bug #938510 appears to present same but filed as caused during upgrade
from 13.2 to Tw. I added comment that it occurs on a clean Plasma5
install. Bug was filed on 07-17-2015, assigned
tobnc-team-screening@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and os.gnome.maintainers and
*only* action was added comments by original poster.