Re: [opensuse] automatically identifying and handling apple iphones in firewall ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 13:17:59 +0100
John Andersen wrote:

Unless you have a really tight data allotment, why not just shut down
the squid cache? After all, unless all your users are hitting the
same exact sites as you are, the cache saves you nothing that wouldn't
get saved by on-device caching. Squid solves a lot of problems not
seen since dial-up days in my humble opinion.

Yeah, I agree - mostly. It's definitely not about data allotment
anymore. We're piggy-backing on the office squid setup which is
primarily for caching the opensuse repos. It helps with caching all
kinds of web content too though and surfing at wirespeed is a lot
faster. I've only measured the caching of the repos, I wonder how much
it actually does for other web content, but the redirect to squid is
for anyone accessing port 80.

I haven't found an easy way of identifying an iPhone, instead we'll keep
track of our own phones, and any guest will just not be cached.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.0°C)