RE: RE: [opensuse] slow desktop action and hangs after upgrade to 42.1
-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Xen
Gesendet: Sa. 02.01.2016 12:33
An: suse ,
Betreff: RE: [opensuse] slow desktop action and hangs after upgrade to 421

stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx schreef op 02-01-2016 1:49:

Your system is running baloo file indexing on the whole disk. The
delays will be in the same moment as heavy disk activity I suppose.
Once the indexing process has finished, the system will turn to be
normally responsive.
Log in your user and just let it run. Go to bed and when you wake up it
should be O.K.
This has normally nothing to do with conflicts.
Try "top" from the command line to see that balloo indexer is running
requiring a lot of CPU load.

Just saying... if an indexing service can cause up to 8 second delays in
system responsiveness, something is really really wrong.

No, I would say this is a typical case of tradeoff. The niceness of baloo was
set to be not noticeable for
strong machines. Once done indexing you also do not "feel it" on less strong
machines. But as the
userbase of Linux is very widespread with young and nearly prehistoric
machines, what is O.K. for most
may not be O.K. for all.
So either you set the niceness of the process to a lower level manually or you
just wait after the first run
that the indexing has finished. I do not see any "problem" there.
If ever there is a problem it is as it always was: the QA process runs on
virtualized machines that do check for hardware
consistency but I do not think that these machines do also reproduce the
slowness of real hardware.
So if an indexing service can cause 8 seconds delays after the very first
install, maybe that is acceptable
provided(!) that the niceness is correct once the indexing has been run once.
YMMV

---