Re: [opensuse] New to desktop usage of Linux, is OpenSuSE the right distro for this use-case?
On 12/31/2015 12:56 PM, James Knott wrote:
In fact, you can run openSUSE on a super computer and it looks
and behaves just like on your own computer, but just a tad faster.

IIR from an IBM presentation, they also run Suse linux on their mainframes.

I recall Geoff Collyer (of C News fame) showing me UNIX on an an IBM
mainframe at UofT back in 1983. I'd be using UNIX on a PDP-11. He ran
MAKE on the whole kernel tree, something that took about 12-15 minutes
on the PDP-11. It was a "don't blink or you'll miss this" event. It
was as if he'd just typed return with no command, the cursor came back
that fast.

I doubt machines have grown slower since then :-)