Re: [opensuse] memtest only seeing 48GB out of 64GB?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:51:55 -0500
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Brandon Vincent
<Brandon.Vincent@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
B1 / C1 / D1 have DIMMs. A1 seems like it should. I'll take a look.

The easiest solution is to remove all DIMMs except for A1. Then move
A1 to D1 and see if the stick is recognized. If the stick refuses to
show you probably have an issue with the memory. If the stick shows
up, then try populating the rest back into the system and see if a
different stick shows up in A1. If A1 is still missing a stick, the
slot is likely bad.

64 GB is nothing for older versions of Memtest86+. The latest version
now supports up to 2 TB of RAM.

Brandon Vincent

I have tried the "bad" DIMM in 3 slots standalone. In all 3 it works.

In all 3 if I add a second DIMM, then the "bad" DIMM disappears and
only the second one is visible.

Is that a normal failure mode?

If so, is it a bad DIMM, or something wrong with the MB?

Thanks
Greg