[opensuse] memtest only seeing 48GB out of 64GB?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 15:49:04 -0500
All,

I have a new machine with 64GB per the bios (and the receipt).

Windows 8.1 and Memtest are only reporting 48GB. Do I need to do
anything, or do I have a defective RAM chip?

Is there a Live Leap DVD I can try?

== details

I have a new custom-built desktop machine with 64GB or ram (in
theory). Its a ASUS X99 mother board.

It came with Windows 8.1 pre-loaded, but Windows is only reporting 48GB.

As a first troubleshooting test I have a openSUSE 13.1 live DVD that
I'm using to boot.

The normal boot/kernel is halting, apparently due to a graphics issue.
(I will try Leap if there's a live dvd?)

The 13.1 failsafe boot works, but top is only showing 4GB. I assume
that is a feature of failsafe.

Memtest starts fine, but it is only reporting 48GB.

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer