[opensuse] Re: For ethernet, what does "device unconfigured" mean
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:37, don fisher wrote:
On 12/28/2015 12:05 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
don fisher composed on 2015-12-28 11:40 (UTC-0700):

> > An unconfigured Ethernet device means that the system detect a hardware
> > Ethernet device with a specific MAC address and does not find a > > matching
> > configuration, ifcfg-ethX file.
> > The udev system matches your hardware Ethernet device with the name > > eth1, but
> > you do not have a file ifcfg-eth1. Same goes for your wireless device.

> How does one fix this. I do not have eth1 any more. I deleted it and
> started over thinking all would be set up correctly. Why does the udev
> system want to match Ethernet MAC address to eth1, and not use eth0? I
> see no reference to a MAC address in the ifcfg file. I only have a
> single Ethernet adapter in the laptop. Also a single wireless adapter...

Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/ for a file

70-persistent-net.rules

It is probably there assigning the MAC address you want on eth0 to eth1.
Likely it has two assignment lines. Just changing the assignment on the
right
address, a single character edit, and deleting the other line should be all
you need to do before rebooting to find what you expected in the first
place.

Adding a zero byte file

80-net-setup-link.rules

in rules.d/ might help to avoid future perplexity. See (near its bottom):
http:
//www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

There are just two lines in 70-persistent-net.rules. Both have an ATTR(address) entry, but the ATTR(dev_id)=="0x0 and the ATTR(type)=="1". I have forgotten how to determine the MAC address. lspci shows a lot of info, but no mac address.

Have you tried the command "hwinfo --network" as root?

On my running machine it shows all the available info on my NICs,
including the "HW Address:" which is the MAC address.

- Yamaban.