Re: [opensuse] For ethernet, what does "device unconfigured" mean
On 12/28/2015 10:19 AM, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
Op zondag 27 december 2015 19:12:20 schreef don fisher:
I have run Yast2, and all appears happy. I have looked at files in
/etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/wicked, and all appear happy in my
humble opinion. What is making the decision that these devices are
unconfigured. What does unconfigured mean? Is there a single field in
one of the files that has been omitted? It is very frustrating to not be
able to get on the net from a machine that used to have no problem.
Especially since the net is required to send details to this list.

Don

An unconfigured Ethernet device means that the system detect a hardware
Ethernet device with a specific MAC address and does not find a matching
configuration, ifcfg-ethX file.
The udev system matches your hardware Ethernet device with the name eth1, but
you do not have a file ifcfg-eth1. Same goes for your wireless device.

How does one fix this. I do not have eth1 any more. I deleted it and started over thinking all would be set up correctly. Why does the udev system want to match Ethernet MAC address to eth1, and not use eth0? I see no reference to a MAC address in the ifcfg file. I only have a single Ethernet adapter in the laptop. Also a single wireless adapter. Is there some place I can read more about this?

Thanks
Don