Re: [opensuse] Re: Moderation on mailing list
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 07:53:20 +0000
On Friday 25 Dec 2015 17:26:18 Ruben Safir wrote:
God help us all...

you'd have as much chance of Harry Potter helping (maybe he's on the list)....
:o)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Jan
04
Challenges in 2015

English,
openSUSE

by Michal Hrušecký

Champagne Showers by Merlin2525You might have noticed that I decided to run
for the openSUSE Board. And as we shortly have a new year and everybody is
evaluating the past and the future, I will do the similar, mainly focusing
on few of the challenges that I see laying in front of the openSUSE Board
in 2015. SUSE/openSUSE relation

I heard it being mentioned several times over and over. SUSE and openSUSE
are two different things. But at the same time, they are pretty close.
Close enough to be confusing. We have similar yet slightly distinct
branding. Similar yet slightly distinct name and we have a clear overlap in
terms of contributors. For people inside the project, it is easy to
distinguish the entities. For people outside, not so much.

There was a nice talk by Zvezdana and Kent on openSUSE Conference about our
branding. Part of the talk and one thing that people notice about openSUSE
and SUSE is our logo. SUSE keeps updating it and it’s getting different
over the time. On the other hand openSUSE logo stays the same. One open
question from the talk was how to fix it. Either start diverging with our
branding or get closer together. I know this is mainly question for the
artwork team, but as will affect all of us, there should be broad
discussion and as it involves logo and trademark, there need to be SUSE and
board involved.

Apart from the logo/branding, there is also a technical aspect of the
relation. We all say that openSUSE is the technical upstream of SLE. Things
are being developed and tested in openSUSE and then adopted by SLE. But
sometimes it is vice versa, as SUSE needs to develop some feature for SLE
or one of it’s service packs and push it there. And as SLE and openSUSE
schedules are unrelated, sometimes they can’t push it in openSUSE first.
Even after the release openSUSE and SLE starts diverging and come together
once in five years or so when it is a time to release a new SLE. It’s kinda
shame, that we can’t help each other more often. It would be great to get
SLE and openSUSE closer together in mutually beneficial way. But this is
not going to be an easy nor fast discussion, again involving quite some
teams/people. And I believe the Board should act as mediator/initiator in
this discussion as well.