Re: [opensuse] Re: Moderation on mailing list
On 23/12/15 09:35, Richard Brown wrote:
On 23 December 2015 at 07:30, Oliver Kurz <okurz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 23 December 2015 16:56:23 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 23/12/15 13:42, Felix Miata wrote:
David C. Rankin composed on 2015-12-22 20:01 (UTC-0600):
Carlos banned... really... What kind of numbskull would ban Carlos?
Had this thread a proper topic, Carlos would probably provide a private
answer. He might anyway, at least if you ask him. It will surprise me if
Richard Brown does not provide an answer once he awakens to find this
thread.
Oh I am sure that he certainly will respond, and we all await that with
bated breaths :-) .
… or maybe not as you just try to lure him into dangerous waters ;-)

Actually I will, but I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet :)

Yes, Carlos is currently banned from posting on any openSUSE
mailinglists or Forum.

The reason for this was an ongoing pattern of behaviour which can only
be described as 'disruptive', including disparagement/disrespect of
other contributors and their contributions, excessive
'content-light/noise making' posts on development lists and personal
attacks.

The trigger for the ban was a personal attack against me, but the ban
(an exceptional action) was only considered due to the exceptional
nature and volume of all of Carlos' behaviour leading up to and
including the personal attack against me. The ban was not a singular
response to that single incident.

I did not 'arrange' for the Ban. This course of action was decided
collectively by the openSUSE Board after significant deliberations,
and included the co-operation of both our Forum and Mailinglist
administrators.

Permanent and Indefinite bans were considered, but I tabled the
suggestion of a time-limited ban, and the Board decided on a 3 month
period, which is due to end on 14th February.

It is worth noting that Carlos was previously banned from the Forums a
few weeks earlier for similar behaviours, an action which was decided
by the Forum team without escalation to the Board.
When deciding upon this recent sanction banning him from both the
forums and the lists for a longer period of time, the Board took the
previous issues and actions by the Forum team into account.
While I realise it is an escalation, I hope that this action might
finally lead to positive change. Banning people from our communication
channels is a last resort, but discussions, warnings and previous bans
were all proven to have no effect.

I am encouraged by seeing Carlos continuing his support of users on
this list (something which he has always done well and is a credit to
his character), and am hopeful that when he returns in February we can
all experience his positive involvement in the Project without the
negative, disruptive aspects we've sadly had to deal with leading up
to his ban

Richard Brown
openSUSE Chairman of the Board
On Behalf of the openSUSE Board
Please reinstate him now. His off list help in both Spanish and English has been invaluable to us.
Thanks.